Layer Sets and Nested Layers

olly

Layer Sets and Nested Layers

Postby olly » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi Grant,

Is there a way to have nested layer visibility controlled by the parent layer with RPManager Layer Sets?

Cheers,
Olly

admin
Site Admin

Re: Layer Sets and Nested Layers

Postby admin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 am

Hi

Not right now, but I'll have a go at adding support for it. I imagine it would be the same as if you added both the parent and nested layers to the layer set, so it in some ways a convenience? ie Saving time where you have to go back in to edit the layer sets when you have reorganised the nesting - or is there functionality you would get you can't get now?

cheers,
grant

olly

Re: Layer Sets and Nested Layers

Postby olly » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:52 am

Hi Grant,

Sorry for the slow reply - I missed this somehow :oops:

I think it would nice if a nested layer's visibility was controlled by a parent's inclusion in a layer set.
Maybe with an option in the RPManager Prefs "Nested Layer Vis Controlled by Parent" so users can decide.
Let's say you create a layer set "buildings" and include the layer "building_1".
Now any layers that are nested to this layer will be visible on passes using the layer set "buildings", without manually adding the nested layer to the layer set.
This would be especially useful when dealing with xrefs, where things can get unpredictable.
For example if you have nested layers in xrefs, that have the same name, 3ds max auto suffixes the duplicate layer names with 001, 002 etc.

EDIT: I meant to say that if you add just the nested layers and not the parent, to a layer set, then those layers will not be visible for the layer set.

It would also be nice if the layer list (in the LS editor) to display the hierarchy with children indented (or similar) under their parents.

Hope that helps, but let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Olly

Return to “Questions”